Boro 4 Worsbrough 0

The game, watched by 441, started brightly for Boro, with the first chance coming after just 21 seconds. The ball arrived from the right wing at the feet of Adam Wilberforce, who dragged his shot left of the Worsbrough goal from six yards out.

On 7 minutes, Craig Hogg should have opened the scoring. A fantastic move from a corner ensured that Hogg was unmarked on the six yard line, but he powered his header just wide.

Just two minutes later, and Boro should have scored yet again. Danny Exley got a lucky deflection which saw him one on one with the keeper. He proceeded to take the ball around Andrew Brooke in the Worsbrough goal, but had his shot cleared off the line by a Worsbrough defender, who tracked back with some speed.

On 14 minutes, Boro did have the ball in the net but Exley, who provided the cross, was judged to be offside, and so the score remained goalless.
It was clear, by the time Exley missed a golden one on one chance in the 25th minute, that Boro were by far the stronger side, and the total domination of the first half proved this.

On 34 minutes, a smashing move by the Boro midfield saw Exley knock a ball down to Hogg, who volleyed spectacularly towards goal, but the ball sailed just wide of Brooke’s goal.

On 39 minutes, the deadlock was finally broken. Mark Griffin charged into the penalty area from the right wing, and fired a shot into the roof of the net, much to the delight of the fans congregated behind the goal. A well deserved 1-0 lead.

Just a minute later, Scott Phillips was able to double the lead as Worsbrough conceded a soft penalty.

Phillips placed his shot perfectly and dived into the home fans to celebrate, which earned him a yellow card, much to the disgust of the still celebrating supporters.

As the half time whistle blew, the fans could reflect on a one sided half that Boro totally dominated. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to suggest that a 4 or 5-0 lead at half time would have been more justified, with the amount of chances that the men in red had.

The second half arrived, and it took Boro just three minutes to add a third goal.

Scott Phillips met a corner and looped a header over Brooke to make it 3-0, and to collect his second goal of the game. On 54 minutes, Hogg found himself in a one on one situation but panicked slightly and fired over the bar into the adjacent car park.

Shortly after this, Worsbrough Bridge had their five minutes of pressure. Three chances in the 55th, 56th and 57th minute could have cost Boro dearly, but Bramley was in amazing shot stopping form, and he made two truly fantastic saves from distance.

On 75 minutes, Hogg really should have scored. With the Worsbrough Bridge defence stood watching the linesman for an offside flag, Hogg steamed through the middle, with noone but the keeper to beat, but inexplicably placed it straight into Andrew Brooke’s arms.

After another brief spell from Worsbrough, whose substitutes seemed to help them play some football, Boro (or should we say Worsbrough?!) wrapped the game up in style.

On 84 minutes, the Worsbrough number 6, Matthew Higginbottom, looped a backpass over his own keeper, who could only bicycle kick it into the roof of his own net.

A hard working, well deserved and ultimately easy three points for Boro, who will relish the visit to Hall Road Rangers next week, where a win could send them top of the league.

Boro Lineup: Bramley, Hyam, Evans, Waltham (C), Kemp, Hepples, Griffin, Phillips (Widdowson 65), Hogg, Exley (Reveley 45), Wilberforce (Thompson 61).

Worsbrough Lineup: Brooke, Scully, Hilton, Boreham, Burkinshaw, Higginbottom, Lee Poskitt (Shirt 69), Garside (Elson 63), Ryan, Hirst, Ryan Poskitt.

Bookings: SAFC - Phillips, Exley.
WBAFC - Brooke, Lee Poskitt.

Attendance: 441
« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @nickfinch14: @safc t-shirt availble to purchase online now! All funds raised go to SAFC.…

Boro Partner Up With @theenergycheck "The exciting new partnership with @theenergycheck is one that will help sav…