Boro Lift North Riding Senior Cup

By Tom Pratt

The North Riding Senior Cup final was decided on penalties after a thrilling 90 minutes, which ended in a 2-2 draw between Scarborough Athletic and Marske United in front of 1,502 fans. Tommy Taylor was the hero for Boro, who won the cup for the first time since being formed in 2007.

The game started with Marske United on the front foot and they looked the more likely to score in the opening stages. Taylor was called into action a couple of times early on from Markse winger Jack Blackford who produced two powerful strikes which were well kept out by the Boro keeper. 

It took until the 20th minute for Boro to really spark into life, Jack Johnson fizzing a ball across the six-yard box just to be narrowly missed by a stretching James Walshaw. However, it was Markse who took the lead in the 26th minute through Jamie Owens after Boro failed to deal with a long throw in and the Markse front man bundled the ball home.

Despite this, Boro pushed on creating a few problems of their own, especially through Ryan Watson who was a standout performer in the opening 45 minutes, producing fantastic crosses which the Marske defence struggled with. 

The relentless Boro pressure finally paid off towards the end of the half as Walshaw was sent tumbling in the box. Walshaw stepped up after missing in the final last year and his spot kick was saved again, however he blasted home the rebound to send the sides in level at the break.

The second half started in familiar fashion to the first with Marske looking the brighter. However it wasn't long before Scarborough moved up through the gears and began to dominate the play. Just after the hour mark they were rewarded for their pressure through Michael Coulson, who tapped in from 3 yards after a parry from the goalkeeper following a Wayne Brooksby strike.

The lead only lasted 10 minutes though, as Marske equalised through Craig Gott as he curled a shot past Taylor from the corner of the box.

However, it was Taylor who was to have the last laugh as the game headed into penalties. The Boro keeper repeated his heroics of the semi-final win and saved three of Marske’s penalties to bring the North Riding Senior Cup Trophy back to the coast!

Watch the highlights, celebrations & post-match interviews with Michael Coulson, Kevin Burgess & Tommy Taylor!

(Photos: Harry Cook)

« Back to news

Latest Tweets

It's the final day to purchase tickets for the Junior Raffle. Tickets are available up until 5pm TODAY. All proceeā€¦

@prethero @DazKelly6 Hi James, the donation page is always open here> UTB!

Latest Articles