Boro lose out in Cup Final

Scarborough Athletic certainly played their part in an entertaining North Riding Senior Cup Final, but were beaten 1-0 by a Luke Armstrong goal at the Riverside Stadium.

The game hinged on a couple of key moments that ultimately proved costly for Steve Kittrick's side as they were unable to recover from going down to ten men. After an early penalty miss by James Walshaw, Boro edged the first half to stand in a good position at the break. However, the sending off of defender Sam Hewitt with a straight red card in the early stages swung the final firmly in Middlesbrough’s favour and the full-time side never looked back.

The players were greeted onto the brilliant playing surface at the Riverside by a rousing reception from the 800+ travelling Scarborough fans amongst the 1019 crowd. 

Boro were quickly out of the blocks and should have gone ahead from the penalty spot following a surging run in from the right from Max Wright that drew a foul in the box by Patrick Reading and the spot kick was awarded. Unfortunately James Walshaw missed the penalty for the Seadogs, with Brad James - who saved three penalties in a shoot-out against York City in an earlier round of the competition - guessing correctly to dive to his right to save the penalty.

In the latter stages of the first half Tommy Taylor was forced to dive at the feet of Mitchell Curry to deny the Middlesbrough striker and keep the scores level.

The task was made even more difficult by the sight of Sam Hewitt heading for an early bath just after the break, with the defender adjudged to have been the last man when he brought down the pacy Hayden Coulson after he tried to break clear on goal.

With Middlesbrough starting to apply an extended period of pressure on the Boro backline, it was no surprise when they took the lead just after the hour mark, with Luke Armstrong picking out the bottom corner with a low drive from the edge of the area.

It turned into one way traffic at times as the dangerous pair of Soisalo and Coulson were too hot to handle and should have led to further goals for the Middlesbrough side. However, the best chance could only lead to an offside flag as Tyrone O'Neill ghosted in at the back post to finish before the flag was raised.

With time running out, Boro carved out a couple of half chances but failed to really test James and were forced to settle for the runners-up medals.

Boro: Taylor, Johnson (Slew), Merris, Price, Hewitt, Snowden, Cadman (Dawson), Sugden, Coulson, Walshaw, Wright

Attendance: 1019


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @safc: Here we go Seadogs! Get voting!! ⚽️👌

RT @evostikleague: Three Groups left to go, when the draw was made, this one made us laugh as 3 of the entries were scored at the same grou…