Boro come from behind to beat Colwyn Bay

Scarborough Athletic came from behind to net a crucial 2-1 win over Colwyn Bay and move three points clear in 2nd with just three games of the season to go.

After falling behind to a Lassana Mendes strike after just 4 minutes, Max Wright nipped in to head in an equaliser with 15 minutes to go, before the turnaround was complete when Jorome Slew netted from a yard out to snatch a famous win.

There was one change made by Steve Kittrick to the 4-0 win over Brighouse, with Jorome Slew brought in for his first start in place of Chris Dawson. With the absence of Josh Snowden, Nathan Valentine shifted to right-back and Sam Hewitt moved into the middle to partner Bailey Gooda.

After a long journey over to North Wales for the players, management and band of travelling fans, Boro were caught cold as the home side took an early lead. Astley Mullholland broke clear down the left, pulling back for Lassana Mendes to slam through the desperate tackles of the Boro defence and into the corner of the net.

The visitors tried to find an instant response with James Walshaw arching a header narrowly wide from a Coulson centre.

After being given an opportunity following his contribution at the weekend, Slew came close as he outpaced his marker down the left, only to lift his dinked effort well over the crossbar with Colwyn keeper Matt Cooper racing from his goal.

The newly crowned Evo-Stik North Player of the Season Michael Coulson then tried to take matters into his own hands, twisting inside to smash a ferocious shot with his right foot that Mendes was forced to take in his chest at point blank range as Boro tried to step up the pressure.

Danny Andrews hooked over after good work from Will Booth down the left, before Booth tried his luck from distance, powering well over from 25 yards.

The game was tight and not helped by the nit picking of the referee Rob Wainwright as he dished out seven cautions during the course of the game. As it was a battle between two good sides desperate to win, there was always going to be a flare up and it started when Astley Mulholland was brought down on halfway by Valentine. The ball was kicked back by a Boro player but hit Mulholland, who was lying face down in the turf, causing pushing and shoving amongst many players from the two teams, with the end result seeing Valentine and Mendes going in the book.

Boro had much of the pressure as the first half ended, but for all their possession and chances, Steve Kittrick’s side were struggling to make an impact in the final third of the field.

The turning point of the game came right on half-time when Astley Mulholland pulled up chasing a ball down towards the corner flag. The pace of the winger had caused Boro no end of problems and his absence after the interval gave Steve Kittrick’s side a route back into the game.

Early in the second half Nathan Valentine looped a header over after Sam Hewitt had knocked down a Coulson corner as the visitors began brightly and pushed for an equaliser.

The lively Slew was starting to come more into the game, cutting in from the left on the hour mark to hit his shot across the keeper and into the goal as he had done on Saturday, but it flew well wide.

On 70 minutes it seemed Boro’s pressure had paid off, as Max Wright chased a ball in behind but was pushed to the floor as he battled with the defender, with the referee awarding a penalty.

Michael Coulson stepped up but the newly crowned Evo-Stik North Player of the Season struck the post after sending the keeper the wrong way. It seemed like it wassn’t going to be Boro’s night, however just minutes later the breakthrough arrived to bring the scores level.

A long clearance from Tommy Taylor was allowed to bounce over the Colwyn defence, allowing Walshaw and Wright to charge In behind, with the young winger getting to the ball first to nod over the keeper and into the empty net.

Just minutes later the turnaround was complete and Boro found themselves in the lead for the first time. Michael Coulson raced onto a long ball over the top but was forced out to the left whilst attempting to go around the keeper. Coulson kept his cool to pull the ball across for Luke Dean to side foot a low shot on goal that was cleared off the line but fell at the feet of Jerome Slew a yard out to poke in and wheel away in celebration.

It was relief for the visitors and they were happy to stick with their 2-1 lead, although Jamie Rainford should have done better with a stinging drive from just outside the box that rippled the top of the net on it’s way over the bar.

There was a late setback to the Seadogs win with Luke Dean shown a straight red card for a diving tackle right in front of the referee.

The final whistle brought celebrations amongst the hardy bunch of fans that had travelled over to North Wales and returned with three vital points and edging ever closer to promotion.

Boro: Taylor, Valentine, Merris, White (Price 88'), Hewitt, Gooda, Slew (Sugden 70'), Dean, Coulson, Walshaw, Wright

Unused: Morgan, Beadle, Dawson


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @SN_Sport: STEVE KITTRICK: @safc are raring to go ahead of @FarsleyCelticFC test

RT @SN_Sport: Boss Kittrick issues @safc fan rallying cry

Latest Articles