Boro beat Brighouse to climb to 2nd

Scarborough Athletic were made to work hard but clicked through the gears in the second half to claim a 4-0 win over Brighouse Town to move into second in the Evo-Stik North.

Boro struggled to assert themselves in the game and were let off the hook as Brighouse had the better of the chances in the first half, but after the break it was a more dominant display by the home side to net another 3 points.

Luke Dean returned to the starting XI after he was rested against Radcliffe and Chris Dawson returned in the middle of midfield, with Tom White and Jamie Price the players to make way.

Under blue skies and sunshine at a busy Flamingo Land Stadium, Max Wright flicked a ball across for Michael Coulson to turn his marker and drilled into the bottom corner beyond young goalkeeper George Clarke in the Brighouse net.

Despite going behind, Brighouse responded well and came close to levelling when James Hurtley rose to head towards goal, with Gabriel Johnson helping it on from close range but getting too much on it to power it high over the crossbar.

James Walshaw could have doubled the lead with a powerful downward header but it was brilliantly blocked on the line by a combination of the Brighouse keeper and a couple of defenders to keep the score at 1-0.

Action soon switched to the other end though as Brighouse continued to heap pressure on the Boro defence and carve out some good chances before the break, the best falling to Gabriel Johnson as he seized on a collision between Tommy Taylor and Josh Snowden from a ball in behind, the ball bouncing out to the striker to angle a shot in but he was denied by a superb block on the line from Bailey Gooda to turn behind for a corner.

The collision left Snowden with lots of pain in his back and the defender had to be stretchered off, to be replaced by Tom White. This led to Sam Hewitt moving to partner Bailey Gooda, Nathan Valentine moving to right-back and White slotting into the middle of midfield.

The changes meant it was a nervy finish to the half, and it was nearly a disaster for Boro as in added time at the end of the first half, the ball was only half cleared and seized on by Thomas Haigh, the Brighouse striker sending a deft lob in that Tommy Taylor was forced to scramble back to turn over his own crossbar.

Max Wright nearly sneaked a second on the stroke of half-time, cracking a volley on goal that Clarke was forced to turn behind for a corner in the final action of the opening period.

After a quiet start to the second half, the lead was doubled midway through the second half as Tom White was brought down in the area, with Coulson stepping up to coolly convert from the penalty spot.

It quickly became 3-0 as James Walshaw rose highest to plant a firm header into the top corner from a Coulson delivery to give the home side a clear lead. Walshaw made it look easy as he timed his run in to perfection to steer past George Clarke.

Max Wright nearly capped his Man of the Match display with a goal, the forward drifting in from the right to hit a low drive that skipped a yard wide.

Late on the scoring was rounded off in spectacular fashion thanks to substitute Jorome Slew, the striker bending a superb strike across the keeper and into the top corner to cap a good win for Steve Kittrick’s side and another game ticked off with a fortnight of the season to go.

Scarborough go 2nd after Brighouse win


« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @SN_Sport: Interim boss @roberts181075 has the backing of the @safc players in the final few games of the @evostikleague campaign. http…

RT @SN_Sport: PHOTO FOCUS: Action pictures from @safc's defeat against @StalyCelticFC courtesy of @MightyPhotos.

Latest Articles