AFC Emley vs Boro

AFC Emley vs Boro

Saturday 15th September 2007

Nothern Counties East League

France made three changes from the previous fixture, Bramley replacing Powely in goal, new North Ferriby signing Jamie Waltham slotting straight in for the injured Davies (hernia) and with Thompson topping up his tan, former Edghill midfielder Gary Hepples was given a chance to justify Frances faith.

Boro started strongly and positively, having the best of the early exchanges when they were caught cold from a corner. Boro didn't deal with a second ball dropping in the box gifting Sean Hazelden time and space to drive home the opener after 8 minutes. From the restart Boro came forward with the same attacking style not shaken by the early set back. New signing Hepples had some good early touches and some cutting through balls keeping the pressure on the home side.

The first clear cut chance fell to Hepples who's looping header came back off the bar, Griffin unable to capitilise on the rebound. Hogg was linking up excellently down the right hand side with Griffin giving Emley no end of problems. Griffin had the ball in the back of the net shortly after connecting with a Hepples cross only to be ruled out by offside. Eventually the pressure told when after 32 minutes Hogg had the visitors back on level terms, a spell of attacking pressure was rewarded when Hogg found some space on the edge of the area to beat the keeper to his left hand post. Powley was called into play short after with a great stop from a close range header. Desptie some further attacking pressure from Boro the home side held on with the sides level at 1-1 at half time.

Emley came out stronger in the second half with some good attacking play, new man Jamie Waltham was stong at the back winning everything in the air. Against the run of play an Emley attack broke down, Hogg picked up the ball from his own half driving the Emley defence back to the edge of their penalty area. A pinpoint pass picked out Hepples who had the composure to slot the ball home into the bottom right hand corner. Emley continued their second half pressure without reward not finding anyway through, Waltham already looking a good signing. Hogg who was causing trouble all day rattled the bottom of the right post with an early speculative effort, the ball was bent round a defender and left the keeper as a spectator, luckily rebounded for Emley to clear.

Hogg brought the ball down from a deep corner, some good close control and composure allowed him to pick out sub David Kemp on the edge of the area. Kemp rifled the ball into the top left hand corner 4 minutes from time giving the Emley keeper no chance. It was looking like Boro's day, there was however one final twist in the tale after an Emley attack broke from an alleged offside positioning, leaving Matt Kennet back tracking and forced a clumsy challenge in the area. Alan Laud converted the resulting penalty deep in to injury time.

In the end the final score line of 2-3 flattered the home side in a game largely dominated by the visitors, all the same Boro got what they wanted, all three points. Boro will now hope that they build on this good performance by putting on a good show for the home fans next week against Worsborough.


Bramley, Hyam, Evans, Waltham, Kennet, S Phillips, Griffin (Kemp), Hepples, Hogg, Exley (Chadburn), Pindar (Wilberforce)
« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @nickfinch14: @safc t-shirt availble to purchase online now! All funds raised go to SAFC.…

Boro Partner Up With @theenergycheck "The exciting new partnership with @theenergycheck is one that will help sav…