Kirkbymoorside F.C. 0 ? Scarborough Athletic 2

France picked his strongest side showing that he wasn't going to be complacent for a moment. Ryan Davies was warmly welcomed back into the starting line up, allowing Hyam back to his regulation right back position. A three man midfield contained Widdowson, Hepples and Phillips, allowing Thompson to lurk behind the forwards. Tom Barkers impressive debut secured his first competitive start alongside top scorer Hogg.

Boro would start in the best possible way taking only eight minutes to take the lead. Thompson's picked up the ball on the edge of the area feeding the ball directly to the feet of Hogg who was cool enough to slot the ball away from just outside the six yard box. Tom Barker was given an ideal opportunity to reinforce his impact to the first team, a deflected header met the boot of Barker, unable to control the shot, rising long after going over the bar. The away pressure continued, Thompson covering a lot of ground was difficult to pick up, this time on the receiving end of a pass into the area only just failed to put the ball the right side of the post.

Scarborough doubled their lead eight minutes before the break, Thompson swung his corner from the left which was headed well clear, Hyam received the ball up on the halfway line and picked out Thompson again in acres of space. Thompson drove the ball across the six yard and Waltham stuck out his leg to send the ball goal wards, the keeper spilled and Hogg was on hand to poach his second. Boro could have been stung just moments before the break, a Kirkby corner drew out Bramley who was left stranded, Thompson was in the right time at the right place, clearing the lines to maintain the two goal lead.

Scarborough started well again in the second half, searching for just one more goal that would surely put the fixture beyond doubt. Kirkby came back at Boro with renewed vigour, Uyi Ehima shot from close range, Bramley having to be on top form to keep it out. Scott Phillips thought that he had the game sewn up, rising well to head the ball into the top corner, Phillips already celebrating with the travelling crowd, only to turn round to see that the referee had dubiously disallowed the goal.

The referee seemingly balancing the books shortly afterwards letting Waltham off with only a warning after clearly taking Ehima down as he was in on goal, the Boro captain could well have seen red on any other day. Bramley again on top form, pushing Cox's resulting free kick over the bar to keep the home team at arms length. Shortly before the end Cox couldn't have got much closer, volleying outside the area only to be denied by the bar, it wasn't going to be Kirkby's day, if Bramley wasn't going to stop them scoring, luck was sure to intervene.

The game finished 2-0 to Boro in a game where they had enough chances and deserved to win, however the game could have been quite different if Bramley wasn't on top form. Boro now face Whitby based Fishburn Park full of optimism, looking to progress in hopes of a cup run. The bad news of Lightowler's injury delay was compensated with the new signings of Tate (Hutton Cranswick) and Ryan Blott who will eagerly await their first eligible tie away Bottesford Town.

Boro Lineup: Bramley, Hyam, Davies, Waltham ©, Evans, Widdowson, Hepples, Philips, Barker, Thompson, Hogg

Subs: Pindar, Revely, Exley

Attendance: 317

« Back to news

Latest Tweets

RT @nickfinch14: @safc t-shirt availble to purchase online now! All funds raised go to SAFC.…

Boro Partner Up With @theenergycheck "The exciting new partnership with @theenergycheck is one that will help sav…